Pioneer DJ is seeking to solve all of your sequencing problems with an exciting new addition to its Toraiz range, dubbed the SQUID. A contraction of SeQUencer Inspirational Device, the SQUID is designed to be “the heartbeat of your studio and live setup”, according to its makers.
It’s based on a 4×4 grid of multi-coloured, backlit, velocity-sensitive pads with a plethora of hands-on performance controls. It can also control up to 16 devices, including modular gear (via CV/Gate), vintage synths, drum machines (via DIN SYNC) and your DAW.
Among its most interesting features are:
- Groove Bend
- Pioneer DJ is calling this the first of its kind on a production tool, letting you create original rhythms by moving a spring-loaded fader
- Interpolation function
- Fills in intermediate values between steps when a pitch, gate or velocity value has been set
- According to Pioneer DJ, this lets you instantly make phrases
- Running Direction
- Gives you the ability to reinvent sequences with 48 playback directions
- Time Warp workflow
- Lets you audition a previous phrase and save it as a new sequence
- For creating evolving phrases and chords
In all, this looks like a very capable sequencer for anyone wanting to control all their hardware devices from a single controller.
Available at the end of this month at $599. More information at pioneerdj.com.