LSR Audio have just released a new software synth emulation of the classic 525 FET hardware compressor, famed around the world for its ability to add deep warmth to live instruments. The VLB525…
The plugin version offers the same capabilities as it’s physical bigger brother, including the non-linear parts such as audio transformers, discrete opamps, FET transistor which have a great impact on the resulting sound and resemble the hardware very closely.
You can download a demo version from here, the plugin is currently priced at $129 (£81.00) – the price will then go up to $159 on 15 October and is available on PC or Mac. Read on for the official information.
The 525 compressor first appeared in the early 70’s. It was integrated as a 500 module in famous american recording consoles. Over the years the 525 has become a favourite of many engineers in the recording industry, contributing its sound in numerous classic recordings. The 525 is a character compressor that adds thickness and warmth to the signal. It is favoured on guitars, vocals, drums and bass. VLB525 further extends the hardware versatility with an adjustable attack time, and stereo link for stereo tracks or busses.
The Real Sound
VLB525 plugin carefully simulates the electronic circuit of the hardware, including the non-linear parts such as audio transformers, discrete opamps, FET transistor… All these components have a great impact on the resulting sound. This precise simulation reproduces all the sonic characteristics and the subtle coloration from the simulated hardware.
Easy Compression Level Adjustment
The “ceiling” parameter increases the threshold and compensates the makeup level to keep a constant output level. The dynamics can be changed on the fly without altering the in / out settings.
• 0: no compression or level compensation
• 20: maximum compression and makeup level
• Authentic hardware circuit / non-linear components emulation
• Peak detecting feedback compressor / limiter
• Threshold and make-up level
• Ceiling adjusts compression and compensates the level
• Gain reduction VU meter
• Compressor mode (2:1 ratio)
• Limiter mode (20:1 ratio)
• Off mode: signal goes through the output opamp and transformer directly without compression
• Bypass mode: true bypass
• 4 release times: 0.1, 0.5, 2.0, 2.5 sec
• De-Ess function
• Adjustable attack
• Mono or stereo, with adjustable stereo link
• Adjustable internal simulation level
• Optional noise floor and hum modeling
• Retina displays compatible