2017 has been an exciting, innovative year for new music-making technology, from machine-learning plug-ins to laser-guided microphones and from scientifically crafted, point-source monitors to boutique synthesisers, the past 12 months has offered up new variations on classic gear and inventive new creative tools for making and recording music. We pay tribute to the best gear of the year in our roundup, with our winners compiled by a fusion of reader votes and our expert panel. Elsewhere this issue, we have the second part of our new A-Z series with Gear4Music, chat to MPG Award-winning mastering engineer Mandy Parnell and Grammy-winning producer and engineer Mark Rankin, and cast of our eye to the future with tutorial content in the latest iterations of Live and Reason. Additionally, you’ll find all the latest reviews from the likes of Toontrack, Dynaudio, Sonokinetic and more.It’s been an excellent year for the music-technology industry, and MusicTech as a magazine. Here’s hoping 2018 will be equally as fruitful… enjoy the issue.
MusicTech Issue 178 includes:
- Gear Of The Year 2017 – We celebrate the finest releases of 2017 with our massive gear of the year feature, which includes the reader voted “Product Of The Year” category.
- The A-Z of Music-Making Pt. 2 – Join us for the second compilation of key terms and techniques to bolster your musical vocabulary.
- Mandy Parnell – We drop in on top mastering engineer Mandy Parnell for career advice, mastering tips and Björk talk…
- Mark Rankin – Grammy-winner Mark Rankin discusses engineering for the likes of Adele, QOTSA and Iggy Pop
- Tutorials – Andy Jones looks into all the new features in Reason 10, Martin Delaney gives us a preview tutorial in effect and instrument devices in Ableton Live 10 and Alex Holmes looks at house and techno percussion in Logic Pro X
- Reviews – Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, Propellerhead Reason 10, EastWest MIDI Guitar Series, iZotope Ozone 8 And Neutron 2, Sonokinetic Espressivo, Dynaudio LYD 48 and more…
- The Essential Guide – We focus on all things synthesiser’s for our latest essential guide
- DVD – 4GB of loops, video tutorials, workshops and samples