Over the past 20 years the internet has transformed the world of music-making. Sharing our works-in-progress or collaborating with people around the globe is but a click away. But what if you’ve never done this before? Assembling the correct tools to begin doing this easily is the bedrock of this month’s cover feature, where we highlight the essential techniques, tips and resources to start composing in the Cloud. Elsewhere this issue, we speak to video game composer Jesper Kyd, whose impressive credits include many key games in the popular Hitman and Assassin’s Creed franchises. Kicking off our review section, we bring you an exclusive look at Yamaha’s new MODX 6 – and discover it to be a wonderfully featured instrument that innovates on many levels. We also have our usual plethora of tutorials covering all the major DAWs, an essential guide to mixing that deconstructs that most crucial of processes, helpful gear-guides and more. I hope you enjoy the issue.
MusicTech 187 includes:
- Composing in the Cloud – Investigating the rise of DAWs that harness the power of the Cloud
- The Essential Guide to Mixing – Demystifying arguably the most vital part of producing your tracks…
- Interviews – Composer and video game soundtrack star Jesper Kyd tells all, Swedish maestro Jonas Rathsman talks about his career and simplifying his studio and Bowie and Wham! engineer Chris Porter wows us with his amazing career.
- Tutorials – Mark Cousins polishes his brass in his Studio Horns Logic tutorial, Martin Delaney explores the new Drum Buss’s dirty side in Live, Adam Crute digs into the options in part 2 of his time and pitch tutorial in Cubase, Mike Hillier looks at the new features of Pro Tools 2018 and Andy Jones continues his exploration of Reason’s sound design possibilities.
- Reviews – We review the new Yamaha MODX 6, Sony C-100, Kali Audio LP-6, Audio Imperia Jaeger Essential Modern Orchestra, Vox Continental, Warm Audio WA-412, Zynaptiq Intensity, UVI String Machines and more.
- DVD – 4GB of videos, workshop, plug-ins and samples including Dub Trap Construction Kits, Atmospheric Textures, Summer Sampler and Live Hip Hop Set Creation.