Looking back on our personal musical triumphs and not-quite triumphs of 2018, it’s easy to think, ‘Ah, if only I’d that done it this way,’ or, ‘I should have recorded it with that.’ To help us prepare for a more productive year, then, we’ve compiled the most useful, resonant and simply inspiring tips and wisdom from the assortment of producers, artists and composers we’ve spoken to in recent months.
Also in this issue, Dave Gale explores the world of orchestration, and explains how it can be brought to your home studio in the first of a two-part feature. Later, we speak to UK mic pioneers Aston Microphones in our Industry Gurus feature, who shed light on their wonderfully dexterous new microphone: the Stealth. We also have a chat with keyboard wizard Mike Patrick, a successful touring instrumentalist who is currently on the road with The Streets.
We also have our usual range of reviews of new products, including the latest version of Cubase, as well as tutorials for all the major DAWs and tips and guides on numerous facets of music and production. I hope you enjoy this issue and wish you a happy new year of music-making!
MusicTech 191 includes:
- 70 pro tips – Loads of priceless advice for improving your composition, productions and mixes from industry professionals
- Orchestral Manoeuvres – Our new series tells you what you need to know and buy to create orchestral parts in your DAW. Part one: strings
- Interviews – First off we speak to Mike Patrick, the go-to pianist for Jake Bugg and The Streets, on his career and gear. And later on, we catch up with Aston Microphones to get the lowdown on the UK manufacturer’s innovative new Stealth model
- Tutorials – Mark Cousins uses Alchemy’s additive powers to create pads in Logic; Martin Delaney demystifies the art of compression in Ableton Live 10; Adam Crute shows you how to take advantage of Cubase’s Drum Maps; Mike Hillier explores UVI falcon, the powerful hybrid instrument now included with the latest Pro Tools; and more
- Reviews – We review the new Steinberg Cubase Pro, UVI Drum Designer, UAD Lexicon 480L, Waldorf Quantum, iZotope Nectar 3, Audiaire Zone, Gothic Instruments Dronar World Flutes, and more
- DVD – 4GB of video tutorials, workshops, software plug-ins and samples including Equinox Sounds Chill Trap Kits, ModeAudio Dark Cinematic and Ambient Loops, techno masterclass with Tom Hades and Ferry Corsten, and iZotope Nectar 3 (demo)